Erasing Terms for GPA Purposes

For the purpose of raising his/her Dickinson State University cumulative GPA, a student may request permission to erase any term of his/her previous academic work (only one Dickinson State University term may be erased) if the student meets the following criteria: (NOTE: Terms from institutions other than Dickinson State University may not be erased.)

  1. The individual must be currently enrolled as a student at Dickinson State University at the time the request is made.
  2. Specific academic requirements must be met prior to the granting of a term erasure. The student must have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of Dickinson State University academic credit (either one term as a full-time student or in consecutive terms as a part-time student) and have a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the term (or consecutive terms) immediately prior to the request.
  3. Term erasure is limited to 5 years prior to current enrollment.

A term erasure request will be granted only once, and all academic work would continue to be shown on the student’s transcript; however, the entire term would be removed for GPA purposes. NOTE: A partial term erasure is not permissible and no term erasure can be awarded after a degree has been granted.

None of the credits of the erased term could be used for graduation purposes. Once a term has been erased, it can never be reinstated on the student’s academic record at a later date.

NOTE: The word Erase with respect to this policy does not mean that the coursework and grades for any semester disappear from the transcript. All coursework and grades will continue to be visible. However, the grades will not be factored into the student’s cumulative GPA.

 Students granted permission to erase a term will have a statement printed on his/her transcript indicating the term erasure. Students receiving veterans benefits are cautioned that if they choose to erase an academic term that contained a course that they passed (D or above) and if they received veterans benefits for that term, the erasure could result in a partial loss of future financial benefits.

NOTE: Students who are pursuing a teaching degree (elementary or secondary) are not allowed to exercise the “term-erasure” option due to the need to use grades for all courses for teaching licensure.

For further information, contact the Office of Academic Records.