Other Important Information


Annually at the end of January, 1098-T information for the calendar year can be found online at: www.dickinsonstate.edu > Campus Connection > Student Center. If the total scholarships and grants exceed the total tuition and related expenses, the student may have taxable income. However, if the total tuition and related expenses exceed the total scholarships and grants, the person who claims the student as an exemption may receive an education tax credit on the Federal Income Tax return.

Consortium Agreements

Consortium agreements which can exist between eligible institutions, apply to all the financial aid programs. Under a written agreement, students may take courses at an institution other than the “home institution” and have those courses count toward the degree or certificate at the home institution. Contact Financial Aid for more information.

National Guard and Military Call-up for Active Duty

  1. Students who are in a State National Guard unit called up for active duty, or who are called back to active military duty, must present to the University a copy of their official order, or a statement from their commanding officer attesting to their active duty status. This document should be submitted to the VA Certifying Official in the Academic Records Office.
  2. Students called up to active military duty must submit a Cancellation/Withdrawal form located at dickinsonstate.edu/forms.
  3. Faculty will be notified of any student withdrawn from their course in this manner and for this reason.
  4. Students who withdraw from the University because of active military duty call-up will be given first priority for course registration when they return to Dickinson State University to continue their college career.
  5. Students will receive a full refund of all University tuition and fees paid relative to the courses from which they were withdrawn as a result of their active duty notification.
    1. Students who are recipients of Title IV aid will have their funds returned as required by federal statute and regulations.
    2. Refunds pertaining to room and board will be prorated.
    3. The University Store manager will provide exemptions to the book return policy for students called into active military duty.

Purchasing Books

The Dickinson State University Store allows students who have been awarded financial aid with no outstanding charges to purchase books and supplies and charge them to their Dickinson State University account. Students are not required to purchase their books and supplies at the University Store. If students choose to opt out of this option they must have another method of payment or wait until financial aid is disbursed and excess funds are available. Students who choose to opt out may purchase course materials from sources other than the University Store.

Remedial Classes

Remedial classes count toward financial aid up to 30 credits hours. If the student is admitted into an eligible program and takes remedial coursework within that program, those credits do count toward enrollment status.

Repeated Courses

If a student has failed a course, the course can be repeated indefinitely and still be counted in the enrollment status for financial aid purposes. Once a student has passed a course, it can only be repeated ONE time and be counted in enrollment status for financial aid purposes. Subsequent repeats are counted as hours attempted; however, they are not eligible to be included in enrollment status for financial aid purposes.

Shopping Sheet

The College Financing Plan is a consumer tool that provides a national standard for financial aid award notices and makes it easier for students to compare awards from different institutions. The shopping sheet provides students with key information including:

  • How much one year of school will cost;
  • Financial aid options with a clear differentiation between grants and scholarships, which do not have to be repaid, and loans, which do;
  • The net costs after grants and scholarships are taken into account;
  • Vital information about student results, including comparative information about default rates, graduation rates, and median debt levels for the school;
  • And potential monthly payments for the federal student loans the typical student would owes after graduation.

Students will find their Financing Plan online in their Campus Connection portal. Access at: Campus Connection > Student Center > Finances > View Financial Aid.

Study Abroad Programs

Students enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a study abroad program approved for credit by Dickinson State University are eligible to receive Title IV assistance. A Study Abroad Financial Aid Contract is available in the Financial Aid office or on the forms page of the website.

Withdrawal/Leave of Absence from Institution

A student who finds it necessary to withdraw or take a leave of absence from the University must submit a Cancellation/Withdrawal form located at dickinsonstate.edu/forms. Students who withdraw from the University may not be completing 66 2/3% of the cumulative credit hours attempted; therefore, students may be disqualified from federal financial aid and would need an approved appeal to have the aid reinstated.

Refund/Return of Title IV Funds

Federal regulations require all institutions to develop a policy which determines the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance that a student has earned as of the student’s withdrawal date. A refund of institutional charges or the percentage of Title IV aid earned for a student, who withdraws from Dickinson State University is calculated through the 60% point in an enrollment period. Unearned funds must be returned in the order specified by law. A detailed refund schedule is available from Business Affairs.

For the full Refund/Return of Title IV Funds Policy, please visit dickinsonstate.edu/admissions/financial-aid/

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

To be eligible for Federal Student Aid, the U.S. Department of Education requires all Dickinson State University degree (or eligible certificate) seeking students to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). SAP requirements apply to all terms, including summer, and to (both aid and non-aid recipient) students, regardless of enrollment status. SAP requirements are determined based on the grade point average (GPA) that a student must achieve at each evaluation and pace of progression (to ensure completion within the 66 2/3% maximum time frame). [NOTE: Incompletes, withdrawals, repetitions, and transfer hours accepted toward completion of a student’s program count as hours attempted.] 


GPA: In order to meet the minimum requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress with respect to GPA, a student will need to have an academic standing consistent with the requirement for graduation from their program at the end of the first, second, and third semesters. Students who do not have 2.0 GPA at the end of the first or second term will receive an information letter; students who do not have a 2.0 GPA at the end of the third term will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. Students may continue to receive aid for one payment period; no appeal is necessary.

At the end of the fourth semester of attendance, a student must have a 2.0 or better GPA regardless of enrollment status or program. The student’s cumulative GPA (including transfer credits) will be used to determine eligibility. Students who do not have a 2.0 GPA will be placed on *Financial Aid Disqualification.

Graduate GPA: Graduate students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the end of each semester. 


In order to meet the minimum requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress with respect to credits attempted, students must complete 66 2/3% of the credits they attempt. This percentage will be calculated for cumulative credits (including transfer credits). For example: The maximum time frame for an associate degree program is (64 credit hours x 150%) 96 credits; 64/96 is the pace of 66 2/3%. The maximum time frame for a bachelor degree program is (128 credit hours x 150%) 192 credits; 128/192 is the pace of 66 2/3%. The maximum time frame for two four-year/double degree (not double major) program is (160 credit hours x 150%) 240 credits or as per catalog. The maximum time frame for a graduate program is (34 credit hours x 150% = 51 credits); 34/51 is the pace of 66 2/3%

Students need to complete 66 2/3% of the cumulative credits attempted, regardless of enrollment status or program. 

Students who are approaching the maximum timeframe will receive an information letter. Students who do not complete 66 2/3% credits attempted will be placed on *Financial Aid Disqualification.

Unofficial Withdrawals (all F's or I's)

Students who receive all failing grades or Incompletes in a given term will be automatically placed on *Financial Aid Disqualification.

Appeal Process

Students who have been placed on Financial Aid Disqualification due to an extenuating circumstance (i.e., a medical condition, military service, etc.) may appeal by requesting a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form. The form is available by contacting Financial Aid or on the forms page of the website. Appeals are evaluated on an individual basis. If it is determined that the student will be able to meet GPA and/or PACE standards by the end of the next payment period, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation, and the student may receive aid for one payment period. A student who changed majors may reach maximum time frame; the student may appeal with a Plan of Study. If an appeal is denied, the student may apply for a private loan; eligibility will be reinstated after requirements are met.

Financial Aid Disqualification

*Financial Aid Disqualification means no longer eligible for all federal aid and most other types of aid. (This is not the same as academic suspension.) Federal Student Aid includes Pell Grant, Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG), TEACH Grant, Work Study, Perkins Loan, Direct Loans, and Direct Parent (PLUS) Loan. Nursing Student Loan, most institutional aid, and other agencies, such as Vocational Rehabilitation, the ND State Grant, and several private/alternative loans also require students to maintain SAP. 

Students placed on warning, disqualification, or probation may be notified by email or in writing; the information is also available for students to view on Campus Connection > Holds and/or To Do List.  Collaborative, consortium, Study Abroad, and remedial credits are evaluated independently; therefore, the initial results are subject to change.

For the full Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, please visit dickinsonstate.edu/admissions/financial-aid/.

Any part of this policy may be changed or revoked without notice.